Last term every class made tartan art for a display and, since we were also learning Victorians, Victorian ladies in tartan dresses seemed a good variation on the theme.
While planning I came across two very helpful posts on 'a faithful attempt': a tartan tutorial for plaid cat collages and ideas for historical costume collages. My lesson is a combination of the two!
We started by painting sheets of tartan. I think the guide on a faithful attempt is pretty fool-proof, although some children were determined to do things a different way, and those ways were not always terribly successful (a good learning experience in any case)!
Once everyone was happy with their tartan, we drew and cut out the ladies. We kept the shape simple (which is good as it proved difficult enough). A few children needed multiple attempts to draw the dress big enough.
I wondered how the majority of boys in the class would respond to making a Victorian lady but they enjoyed it, and learning about amusing Victorian fashions - including the dangers of ladies' skirts, corsets and how little boys wore dresses!
No comments:
Post a Comment