My class was asked to create desert pictures to project as a backdrop for a show we're involved in. I had a few ideas but once I'd seen this doodle desert from The Lost Sock, I decided we had to try it! The Lost Sock post has step-by-step instructions which I roughly based my lesson on.
We started by discussing the 'Desert Song' which our art would be used for and drawing at least five repeating patterns on our mini-whiteboards. Children shared their pattern ideas and a lot of them associated their patterns with certain parts of the song - sand, wind, sun...
We then drew the main elements in pencil, with contour lines and concentric circles around the sun, and went over them in pen. It surprises me every time how difficult some children find drawing hills and circles! It was then on to the patterns!
At school we don't have permanent black pens so the Lost Sock technique of using markers with water wouldn't have worked. Instead we used coloured pencils and had a discussion about the colour wheel and blending different colours to add tone. The photo doesn't really do the colours in this picture justice.
Although the finished results turned out relatively similar, they are also all really effective and lots of learning went on in the process.

No comments:
Post a Comment