Thursday, 14 March 2013

Cake, cake and more cake!

Today as part of a charity fundraiser, we had a bake sale, a baking competition (entered by about half the school) and ate an awful lot of cake. So I decided our art lesson should involve...more cake.

I must admit I'd never heard of Wayne Thiebaud before seeing him on various art blogs - perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think he's as well known here as in America. In any case, he was the perfect inspiration for this lesson.

We started with a Powerpoint and I explained that they were going to draw a cake with a slice taken out.

I let them have a go at drawing it on their mini-whiteboards and it was very interesting to see how they went about it! I then took them through simple steps for drawing the shape and they kept practising on their boards.

Originally I had planned to draw the cakes on white paper and colour with oil pastels but then found a similar lesson on ARTipelago which used black paper. This made the cakes stand out much better.

I think every child in the class was successful with their cake and, apart from a few which could do with a plate, they were all finished in about an hour!





2 comments:

  1. That's great. What are the mini-whiteboards, and how do you use them? Is this to help your class overcome the "permanence anxiety" of putting pen to paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the whiteboards you can write on with dry-wipe markers except the size of A4 paper! And yes, much easier to erase or change than with pencil and paper!

    ReplyDelete