Friday, 10 May 2013

Beatriz Milhazes

With Brazil as our current class project I did some searching for a Brazilian artist and opted to study Beatriz Milhazes (e.g. see picture below). As you will see, her work was especially appropriate given that we'd just learnt to draw circles with compasses in maths...


It took rather a lot of experimenting with different materials before I decided on a way to make this style of art manageable for 9-10 year olds. In the end, I decided to limit them to creating a collage with only three colours of paper. They had to include different styles of circle in a composition with other lines and shapes.

After watching a few minutes of this video on YouTube to discuss the artist's inspirations and techniques, I demonstrated a few different ideas - ring shapes, overlapping circles with a different colour for the overlap, an op-art cube idea inspired by Arteascuola.

Not many are finished but I'm really pleased with the ideas and creativity I've seen so far!



 Not finished but I like the pyramid!
   My example - I think it helped having a few simple ideas to look at!

No comments:

Post a Comment