Friday, 1 February 2013

Dali Style 'Melting Clocks'

It felt like a while since we'd last thought about a famous artist so I decided to go for Salvador Dali, partly because I liked the Dali museum in Paris, partly because we're doing time in maths (so clocks fit in well), also because he's just so crazy.

To start off we watched a fun video clip, 'Totally Famous: Salvador Dali' from CBBC, and then looked at a Powerpoint with information and pictures.

We then made our own versions of 'The Persistence of Memory'... Everyone drew a clock melting over a 'table' and over a branch. The table one was hard as they couldn't get their heads around having to draw the two sections of the clock at different angles. I let them add in whatever other details they liked.

The drawings looked good but things got harder at the painting stage, especially as we were using tints and shades to make things more 3D. I insisted that their scrap paper was their most important tool and that they had to test all their colours out! Despite the difficulty of the painting, I think we ended up with some pretty good surrealist art!






No comments:

Post a Comment