Last year some of the kids in my class had a go at 'sewing' with special kits, complete with felt shapes with holes and large plastic needles.
Most children found that craft very challenging but I still wanted to try 'real' sewing with them this year. The simple Christmas tree idea from Angela Anderson's art blog was just what I had in mind.
I gave out paper triangles which the children traced on to scraps of fabric. Using basic stitching, they sewed up the two longer sides. Before completing the bottom of the tree, they filled the decoration with stuffing and glued a rectangle of felt on to the inside for the tree trunk. After stitching up the bottom of the tree, we added shiny stars and thread for hanging, and cut the edges with pinking shears to prevent fraying.
Using small sharp needles on normal fabric seemed to actually be easier for my class than the felt sewing kit. I think it was more inspiring for them too. Even the boys were going home and sewing decorations of their own!
No comments:
Post a Comment