One of the few activities I can remember from primary school had something to do with joining points on an axis to make a cool sort of pattern. I'm not sure what the intended relevance of this activity was to anything but I wanted to try it with my own pupils. After a fruitless internet search for 'drawing lines to make a cool pattern', I decided to use my memory as an inspiration for an activity of my own.
The activity I came up with was the 'Op Art Christmas Star'. Rather than just drawing a cool pattern, it could be used to learn about a style of art, use of line, shading and other things too.
2. Mark each centimetre along the lines - right to the end of the line.
3. The next bit is hard to explain in words but quite simple in practice. Draw lines in one quadrant at a time.
Draw a line from the point furthest from the centre on the vertical line to the point closest to the centre on the horizontal line.
In this example I would go 10 to 1, 9 to 2, 8 to 3, 7 to 4, 6 to 5, 5 to 6, 4 to 7, 3 to 8, 2 to 9, 1 to 10.
4. Depending on how you want the stars to look, you could go over the lines with a fine black pen and shade the boxes - perhaps getting lighter towards the centre. It also looks great drawn with metallic pens on black paper. Whatever really!
I'm looking forward to trying it out properly with the class as we ran out of time!


No comments:
Post a Comment