Friday, 3 January 2014

Notan Squares

Here's an idea I saw on a couple of other blogs, notably here at Dali's Moustache and here at Art with Mr Hall. We had done quite a lot of work on light and dark - tints and shades, adding tone - but this lesson was about balance and contrast of light and dark in the composition. We were also about to study light in science and it was a theme in our class novel - I love it when things all fit together!

This was also a great lesson for cutting and pasting skills... Some were able to go for more complex patterns (like the first example here), whereas others found it challenging enough to cut a simple shape from each side! I thought about using colour but decided in the end to stick with the stark contrast of the black and white.



No comments:

Post a Comment