Friday, 30 March 2012

Paint and Pastel African-Style Art


These African-style pictures were part of a class project and made a for quite an eye-catching display. The idea is from a lesson I observed when I was still a trainee teacher. The art specialist used it to teach the children more about colour and tone and, when I did my version this year, it was the first time the pupils had heard of tone.

Pupils sketched out two or three women on their page (depending on whether their paper was portrait or landscape) before colouring with oil pastel (black plus a colour for the dress and jewellery). They then had to draw a line in a lighter shade down one side of the person and, I think, a darker shade down the other side to add some tone - this proved quite tricky for some!

For the background we used the block paints with plenty of water for an 'oil' resist effect, trying to blend gradually through different colours. If pupils had 'cold colour' dresses, they did 'hot colour' backgrounds and vice versa. Whether or not they got the hang of tone, the results all looked great! I will try to find more photos...

No comments:

Post a Comment