Monday, 2 April 2012

Op Art Towers/Caterpillars/Tornadoes...

When I stumbled across this idea on the Deep Space Sparkle blog, I knew I would have to try it. The pictures on-line looked amazingly 3D and it seemed a good way to teach use of lines, tone and shading. Sure enough, the kids loved learning about 'Op Art' and found the project rewarding - we also now have a very cool looking display outside our classroom!

Having read the advice from art teachers who had posted this lesson (I looked at several blogs - the one above'Art with Mr E'artisan des arts and Teach Kids Art to name but a few!), I thought it best to start small. I gave my class A5 paper for their designs (about 21 x 15 cm) to make things a bit easier and, as you can see, after a couple of lessons there are still some designs unfinished!

We went through the project together, step by step, starting with the central wavy line and (in theory) added six points along it. Pupils then built up each 'tower' of curves one at a time on one half, then turned the paper and did the other half. Using slightly thicker black markers and going back to the dots each time helped them to get a more '3D' effect.

Even before adding colour the designs were looking good. They all practised shading gradually from dark to light on the back of their designs and we spoke about choosing from different colour families. Adding in the work on colour wheels and colour families was a bit much for some - I think next time I would do as others have done and just use a few colours for the whole design. Will definitely be using this lesson again!






No comments:

Post a Comment